the lads

Bulletin Board for the lads
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:04 pm 
Old Fart
Old Fart

A good way to describe the weekend that just was i think.

A gathering of Whelan’s from far and wide took place in the quiet (read loud) peaceful (read insane) hamlet of Graignamanagh. As can be expected, the craic was turned all the way up to 11!!

But im getting ahead of myself here, let’s start with the build-up...

Tues-Night:

Chuck Norris night baby, oh yeah!! Well, I was the only one with a beard worth speaking of, but there were a few cow-boy hats floating around. Got stuck into black&white sambucca!! Always a good idea!!

Myself and the Chief got talking to two women, one sells drugs for some German pharmaceutical company, not sure what the other did, wasn't talking to her!!! Showed them my proof that Women are Evil. They were slightly impressed that i could handle advanced logic after 4 sambuccas, so was i for that matter...

Wednesday:

Took a half day in work, and went to see Jack Johnson with DJ, Jenny and LouB. After some adventures in driving (lou, you are never giving directions again) we got to the point, perfectly on time (not an excuse lou!!). Mairead was a few minutes behind us, but we all met up and went in to see the man of the moment. He was excellent, but the point is a little too big for him, not that the sound was bad or anything, but a fully seated concert would have been better. Anyway, i had a great night. Even got to see where jenny lives, which isn’t bad for Dublin, but a complete shit hole compared to the palace i had in Limerick (32 College Court Drive!!)

Thursday:

Had day off from work, scratched myself in 3 places at once. Accomplished all of my tasks for the day (1. Scratch self in 3 places at once, 2. Celebrate accomplishment with sleep, 3. Fart, twice, changing tune at-least once)

Thurs-night:

Being rag week in Carlow IT, it was unanimously agreed that a snifter of port, and a packet of bacon fries was called for. My self and Kelly had a couple of brewski's in the house before making for the Barracks to meet up with Niamh (from work). There was an EA Games promotion in there, giving away the new FIFA Street 2 game, but we weren't interested in that at the moment. For when Niamh arrived, not only had she her very charming self and her friend Louise (very grand), but also a new comer, Tracey (really grand!!). Couple of drinks and shots later it was time to head on to something a little noiser, the Tower!! Niamh was heading home, and the other two were going to meet us later, so on we toddled!!

10 yo-yo's later we were knee deep in "real" music, with drinks in hand and head-banging to be done!! CAM ON!!

The details of getting home a bit hazy, but sure what the hell about it, a cracking night was had by all!!

Friday

Thank $deity that I live and work with Kelly, as there is no way i would have woke up with out him!! Anyway, work was good craic (though still v. productive), pretty much laughing for the day, Niamh is having a great effect on the place!!

Fri-night:

I drove home from carlow, still a little the worse from thurdasy night. Got showered and changed in Record time and made for the Great Family Reunion of the Whelans, Part Deux!! Bloody hell, all the cousins were there. Big shout out to all, Louise, Siobhan, Liz, Ruth (couldnt believe you were there), John Paul, Claire, Rachel, bloody hell there are too many of us. Had a feckin great laugh geting nostalgic with Lou and Shiv. A session of sorts started up then, With JOhnny Hoare and Tom Fenlon on playing, then uncle Pat got up for a few tunes, reckoned he was a bit rusty himself, i reckon he was full of shit, cos he played a stormer

But then responsibility caught up with me. I had a lab practical for my Cisco CCNA couse on the saturday (bastard Carlow IT getting in the way of the freight train that is my social life!!). So come 1:30am, with Louise O Neil in tow, due to her havin comsumed much alcohol, i headed home with jenny and aine, and mam. Dad, Beano and a few others headed for Gahans, where i understand, a good night was had

Saturday:

Didnt get much sleep, bastard cold has me in its grip!! But since im double hard, man of steel and all, i jumped up at 7:30am, got changed, had a cupán tae, and made for carlow, touching the road in about three places!! Got to carlow for 8:30 so i headed for the house, and found kelly boy in a much worse state than me!! Was so delighted with his show of solidarity!!

Onwards the two brave work colleagues went to the IT and the Cisco Lab!! I wont bore you with the details, but the first half of the thing, Kelly pretty much did single handily. Then second half was a pure bastard, and we nearly got it done, so that’s something anyway.

Satur-night:
I got home at some random hour to Graig, and immediately got changed. Aine came along, and i collected Doc and Louise on the way. We headed to the globe first, which was crap, so after three drinks, we made for Gahans, where Hairy Bacon were starting up. Excellent!!

The beers were purchased, the crowd got in, and the craic was being slowly turned up to 11 once again!! By about 11pm, Hairy Bacon had the crowd brilliantly worked up, and Bulmers had me in a similar state!!!

A minor highlight of the night so far was the band playing The Trooper, excellently, woo hoo, Perry Now Knows Trooper!!!

Then the real highlight of the night. After much cajoling uncle Pat jumped up with the lads to play, Tom Fenlon handing over his guitar, and taking up bass duties. Man, it was feckin amazing, a nice spattering of jazzy stuff, bit of Think Lizzy, it was excellent, and Pat Bolger on the vocals was excellent too.

Anywho, the parties all come to an end, except in graig!! So on a few of us went back to mine, and sure a few drinkies were had, and a bit of fun was par-taken in.

Sunday:

Got up, walked down town for the car, had a bit of lunch, watched the first half of Ireland V Wales, got bored and went to Carlow. Had a King Prawn Satay and Boiled Rice. An excellent, if subdued, end to an excellent week of my life. Long may they continue to happen

Now roll on the weekend, going to see Trivium with James Damien King, PhD. (Ninger) on Friday, then man-ing it up on Saturday with a lads night out in Carlow (KENNEDY!!)

Oh, anyone with pictures of the weekend, i want them for the site, email me with them

My Amazon Wishlist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm 
Half Glass
Half Glass

Kojak is the man on guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If he wasn't white, and alive I would've sworn he was Hendrix himself when he broke into 'Redhouse'!!
Missed Podge tho, did he give 'Whole lotta Rosie' a lash??
Gahan's what a place, who needs Neverland eh..
Great show..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:37 pm 
Old Fart
Old Fart

Nope, unfortunately, no 'Rosie, i think!!

My Amazon Wishlist

Post subject: Sat 18th March
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:43 pm 
Half Glass
Half Glass

Good band in town on the 18th, Hybrasil from Wicklow are in the Duiske.
They're just back from the UK havin toured around for a month.
Check em out on http://www.hybrasilmusic.com
'The Chinese, a great bunch of lads'! -Fr Ted Crilly - RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:24 am 
Pint
Pint

i just need to point out that i was actually not with you friday night going home, i'm not sure who that other girl was or even existed but it wasn't me!! fantastic synopsis of our wonderful family affair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:38 pm 
Old Fart
Old Fart

Sorry Jen, yeah, now that you mention it, you did go home early didnt ya. Was just Aine and Lou so... Now im not even sure Mam was with us....hrmmm

My Amazon Wishlist